I filmed a video last year about how I take care of my clothing, and another a few months ago about my favourite little known clothing and beauty hacks. Lately, I've been getting a lot of requests for tips for boot cleaning and care. I try and keep it really simple with boots, because if you clean them too harshly, you can really damage the leather.
Below are my top tips for caring for any type of boot, to keep it looking smooth,clean and beautiful every fall and winter season:
- Remove loose dirt with a brush or rag.
Clean thoroughly with leather conditioner or balm.
- Apply a thin coat of neutral shoe cream and rub with a soft cloth until leather shines.
- For a high luster, apply a thin coat of wax polish neutral paste on light colors; matching paste on dark colors. Brush or rub again.
NAKED FINISH, SNUFFED FINISH OR SUEDE
- Remove loose dirt with a soft nylon brush.
- Do not use conditioners; conditioners may discolor the leather.
- Treat with two coats of Water Stain Protector when boots are new. Allow to dry between coats.
- Keep free of mud and drying elements.
- On snuffed grain, use a fine abrasive paper lightly on the areas that are already snuffed.